Compounding combines an ageless art with the latest medical knowledge and state-of-the-art technology, allowing specially trained professionals to prepare customized medications to meet each patient’s specific needs. Compounding is fundamental to the profession of pharmacy and was a standard means of providing prescription medications before drugs began to be produced in mass quantities by pharmaceutical manufacturers. The demand for professional compounding has increased as healthcare professionals and patients realize that the limited number of strengths and dosage forms that are commercially available do not meet the needs of many patients, and that these patients often have a better response to a customized dosage form that is “just what the doctor ordered”.
- A child needs a medication in a liquid form, but it only comes as a capsule.
- A patient needs a medication that is no longer manufactured.
- A patient needs a dose that is not manufactured.
- The commercially available product is not available.
- A patient is allergic or cannot tolerate an ingredient in a manufactured product.
- A pet needs a medication flavored so that they will willingly take it.